Sunday, December 26, 2010

2 + 1 = 3

We are expecting kid #3!!! Alisa is at 15 weeks right now with the baby due in mid June. In an odd twist of fate, the baby is due on the exact same day that Maya and Max were due (the twins were born 5 weeks early so we are hoping this baby is born much closer to due date). Apparently, we only know how to make babies on one day of the year.

We were pretty surprised to find out about the pregnancy because we didn't go through any infertility treatments (like we had to do the first time). After seeing many negative pregnancy tests during our marriage, it was a little surreal to see a positive one. (In fact, we didn't even see a positive home pregnancy test when we found out about the twins because Alisa did a pregnancy test at the fertility doctor's office.) Alisa has had an ultrasound that confirmed we are having just one baby, which admittedly we were relieved to know.

The first trimester was a little rough on Alisa (nausea, tiredness, etc.), but it's also been much better than the last pregnancy. At this point, she is starting to feel better, and she is hoping to have a more "normal" pregnancy than the last one.

Alisa is thrilled about the opportunity to deliver a baby in New Zealand. First of all, New Zealand health care system allows you to choose between a midwife, general practitioner doctor, or obstetrician for maternity care (about 80% choose a midwife and midwifery care is fully funded by the government health care system). Alisa has selected a midwife that she really likes and who also happens to be in our ward. Alisa and her midwife think that they had a feeling they were meant to go through something special together when they first met, which sounds a little too Saturday's Warrior for me. In any case, her midwife is great and provides excellent support, and Alisa is likely to have a much better chance at a VBAC than she would have had in the U.S.

-Lonnie

16 comments:

  1. Congratulations!! I can't wait to see the newest addition to your family.
    The same thing happened with us and our second pregnancy. 1st pregnancy we had to used drugs to get pregnant 2nd didn't. Life's weird sometimes.
    Congratulations again!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations - that is wonderful news! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! I am so thrilled for you! WOOOO HOOOO!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay!!!! Congratulations to your little family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats! I am so happy for your family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So excited for you! I wish I could come visit you guys in NZ! Maybe when I win the lottery...which by the way there isn't one in Utah...I don't think...and even when we lived where there was one I didn't play...so I guess fat chance of me coming to NZ...but we can always dream.

    Alisa I hope you will feel better soon! I also hope you can keep up the with red hair!

    ReplyDelete
  7. congrats to you and your family :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. So exciting! Can't wait to see more pictures of yet another red headed cutie!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats on the new baby! We are so happy for all of you. I had a vbac with Emma so if I can do it so can you Alisa. Keep us up to date, we love hearing about your adventures in NZ. We miss you all tons.
    Love,
    The Malick's

    ReplyDelete
  10. YEAH!!!! I'm excited for you! I hope you continue to feel better through the pregnancy!

    Keep up the photos for all of us back in the states, they're BEAUTIFUL!!

    And Lonny, you're hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those Mercer boys are sure funny. :>

    CONGRATULATIONS! Alisa, I hope your pregnancy is uneventful! Twins, behave thyselves... :>

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats!!! I am so happy for your family!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh WOW!!! Somehow I missed this post & I just saw the baby floating around in the countdown!!!!
    CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!! What a wonderful bit of news :)
    I'm glad you are feeling better Alisa. It is fun to be pregnant but the icky sickness part isn't so exciting.
    That's cool that you found a midwife that you are totally happy about. My OB that helped me deliver all three of my babies just retired. So if I have another I'll have to search around for someone else. Too bad, I really liked him.

    ReplyDelete
  14. WOW!!! congratulations! That is so exciting and to think you did it all by yourselves!!! God sure has his own pl ns and his own timing for us. I wish your growing family much happiness during your pregnancy and with the new addition. Again, congrats and good luck! (wish I had the joy of saying I'm pregnant, too...remember?, like last time, but you get to do this one without me.) :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hooray!! Congratulations!! I can't wait to read about what life is like with 2+1.

    ReplyDelete