Saturday, December 17, 2011

getting ready for a kiwi christmas

This is our second Christmas in New Zealand.  In January we will have been here for two years. While Christmas still brings quite a bit of nostalgia this I am also feeling the love of being a Kiwi...so here are a couple of the joys of being in New Zealand this Christmas...

This is a weta.  They are very big insects that can be found here in New Zealand.  This one Max picked up our garden (yard) and almost brought into the house.  Being a good Kiwi child Max was excited to find this huge bug rather than being scared.
We moved into our current home last February so we missed the pretty red flowers on our feijoa tree, which will produce delicious fruit in a couple of months. These trees are related to pohutukawa trees, which are in glorious bloom all over New Zealand.   
 Other than the last week of rain we have enjoyed some very nice, mild weather.  Our landlord recently fenced our entire yard meaning that Max and Maya have created their own outdoor world, with a rain forest, jungle, mountain.  In preparation for a camping trip they made beds and stayed outside reading for hours.
We've set up our Christmas tree again this year.  It gets re-decorated every couple of days by the kids which is something I remember doing when I was little.
We were hoping to put together a Christmas card this year....I love getting Christmas cards, but I don't think I have ever managed to actually send one out.  Of all years, living in New Zealand with a new baby I thought this should be the year that it finally happens.  Have you ever tried to take family photos with a 3 year old?  Imagine having two of those wiggly 3 year olds, then add a baby (and a sleepless night), top it off with a freak wind storm at the beach.  Needless to say the photo shot ended with four out of the five of us crying.  I'll let you guess who non-crier was.  I'm still hoping to send out a Christmas card (or at least email out a newsletter), but it is very unlikely to happen before Christmas, so if I don't get to it please know that I wish you all a very happy Christmas.

4 comments:

  1. I can't believe you guys have been gone for 2 years already! Time flies. That bug is seriously gross...probably wouldn't be my favorite thing to experience if I ever got to visit :-).

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahahaha, I bet Lonnie was the crier and you were not! :) We haven't even bothered with cards or letters yet this year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh honey, I'm sorry you came from a crying mom. I remember those hectic,crazy days of young motherhood. I'm still working on my Christmas email Try Shutterfly, it's easy. Love you, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Marci that bug is gross!!! If you will send me your address I will send you a Christmas card with a family picture of us that Marci took for us.

    ReplyDelete